Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First day of PreK

'ello.  I'm breaking my silence.  I didn't mean to fall silent.  A lot of things have been going on, most of which I can't really talk about yet, and the idea of sitting down to peck something out actually made my skin crawl a little.  Just couldn't do it.  But....I think I may be better now.  Besides, the picture are piling up and I need to do something about it.
 
Yesterday was Luke's first day of Pre-K.  Not nursery school.  Not preschool.  Pre. KINDERGARTEN.  Holy moly sakes alive.  His teacher has sent home laminated papers to practice handwriting.
 
HANDWRITING.
 
My child can't even trace a shape, but by the end of the year he's going to be writing?
 
No.  No, I refuse to believe he's growing up. 
 
Cindy's house is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the way from school and work, so I had Mom come a grab Evan on her way to school yesterday morning and drop her off (which happens to be on the way for her).  This left me and the boy at home alone for about an hour before I got to take him.  What a sweet treat for me.  We ate breakfast.  We made the beds together.  I took his picture.  He insisted on taking mine.  I was a little sad that Evan couldn't be in the pictures too, but I'll survive.
 
When I asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, he said "I wanna grow up like you do Mom." Cue the tears.  I asked him a couple of more times to make sure that's what he wanted, and I was always met with the same response.  Oh, my heart.
 
 
Some of his pictures were actually fairly steady, not the usual blurs of motion.
 
 
Single parenting 101: learn to take self portraits.
 
 
Walking in.  I wanted to make him an awesome messenger style bag, but people made fun of me, telling me I couldn't send him to school with a messenger bag.  :(  So, I hadn't gotten him a new one yet.
 
 
His sweet sweet teacher.  I think she is going to be EXCELLENT for my boy.
 

One thing I don't think his teacher planned on was that Luke and his three best friends are all in the same class together.  He he he.  Good luck with that!  Dakota and Zane both were in preschool last year too, but this is Jadyn's (pictured above) first year.  Tamara handled it like a champ.  I got teary eyed in the car right before we walked in, telling Luke how much I loved him and how proud I was of him, but then I chided myself to get it together.  We weren't even in the building yet.  As I was about to walk out the door, leaving my baby, Shae walked in.  She squeezed my arm, told me it was okay, and reminded me that we've done this before and it wasn't kindergarten.  She had a point.  I held it together and was grateful that my baby was about to have a great day.

And a great day he did.  Mrs. Stuart has TRAINS and CARS to play with.  So, life is perfection in his eyes.

Goal for tomorrow: catch up on the last two (three?) weeks.

No comments: