Isn't it funny how an entire room will take on a new persona, just because one little detail needed to be changed? When I bought my dinning room set, I KNEW the padded chairs would be a problem, but I couldn't find any sets that I liked that had wooden seats. Originally they were cream, but I immediately recovered them in some duck cloth and scotch guarded them within an inch of their life.
Six years and three children later, it was time to cover them in something a little more durable than the straight duck cloth. Wait- let me rephrase that. These chairs needed something a little more Evan proof if they were going to last at all. Now that sweet Elyse is here, my four person family will no longer fit around my three chaired kitchen table. The dinning table will be the work horse. A work horse I'd rather not see covered in stains.
Plus, it was just time for a make-over. Here's the before...
Not terrible. But pretty boring. As you can see, I made the curtains to go with the recovered chairs, and it always bothered me that they were a tad short.
Since I was recovering the chairs, of course I would need to make new curtains. And once the new curtains were up the sad, dinky little plates on the wall just looked lost. Time for a "go big or go home" moment.
I love how it turned out! I managed to find my favorite fabric (Amy Butler's Harriet's Kitchen from her Cameo line, now in the curtains above and also in my room) in a laminated cotton for the chairs, so now I'll be able to just wipe them down when a child spills on them. *note- I said when. Not if. Because it will happen.
The decoration details mostly came from Hobby Lobby. I found these hodge podge of letters all over the store, with the "O" being a plain wooden one I painting and covered with paper, like I did for Elyse's letters in her room.
This actually had a nice mat inside of it with places for several pictures, but I made it my own to display each of the kids' newborn pictures.
And this picture is one I found on Etsy. I've stared longingly at The Wheatfield for a very long time, and I was thrilled to finally find a home for one of her prints! (also, you don't know how long it took me to narrow it down between 4 different choices)
Anyway, I love how it turned out. It totally goes along with my new theory of COLOR! It was a project that really should have taken a weekend, but it ended up taking a month and a half. I technically still need to top stitch the right curtain panel, but it can wait. I'm so done for awhile.