Thursday, July 12, 2012

4th of July

Our 4th was a quiet one this year.  The kids thought that it was totally appropriate to get the day started at 6:30 in the morning.  I realize that it was a Wednesday, but still.  That's early.  So I did what any good mother would do and put the boy to work.


He's gotta learn sometime that he has to earn his keep around here. We had breakfast and soon the girly girl went down for her morning nap.  This left the boy and I with some free time.  Science experiments it was!


I bought him this fun science kit for his birthday.  We make fizzy colored water, mixed new colors up, made crystals grow into jelly blobs, and made snow.  Then Evan was up.  By 10:30 it felt like we'd lived an entire day, and the bickering was already wearing me thin. 

Solution?  Head to Old Navy to kill some time. Before we left I made them take a picture in their 4th of July outfits.  Neither one was thrilled.


We went to Old Navy and Walmart, where we got dinner items (sausage and mac n cheese per request) and dessert items (I decided camp fire or no camp fire, we needed s'mores).  Came home, lunch was had, naps were had, and we played a little bit more.  I tried to grill the sausage for dinner.  Burnt it to a crisp.  But the gas stove top s'mores?  Big hit. Nothing says "I love America" like holding a fork over the stove and partaking in burnt marshmallow with chocolate and graham cracker.


Finally it was time to load up and see some fireworks.  We went back to the same field as last year, and Luke was thrilled to run around with Papa.  (although, he was a bit disappointed there was no "rizbees" to throw around.  That would be frisbee in Luke talk.)

Playing catch

No one wanted to be cooperative for this group photo either.


She LOVED climbing in this chair and then face diving off the front. There was also a cute picture of her "talking" on my phone, but I'm pretty sure mom would not appreciate her being in the back ground.  The kids enjoyed the fireworks and getting to stay up so late.  I was actually shocked at how well Evan did, considering we didn't leave the house till her bed time.  Speaking of that girl, I can't believe that last year on the 4th, she was this squishy.  *sniff sniff* Cue nostalgic tears.

The next day I actually had jury duty.  Not exactly how I wanted to spend my Thursday, so I thought.  But I didn't have to be there till 9, and it was in Lewisville so I didn't have to drive but 5 minutes to get there (as opposed to 30 to get to work at 8).  Then, I was not chosen and consequently released by 10:30.  What did I choose to do with the rest of my day?

 I had the whole pool to myself.  Mom and Dad had already taken the kids to an aviation museum at Love Field airport, so I had the whole early afternoon to myself.  I don't see an opportunity like that happening...well....ever....again, so I made the most of it.  And it was just what I needed.

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

Love that pic of you 3 laying down!!