Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Quick trip to the beach

A lot happened last week with lots of pictures I need to organize and post.  But that can wait till tomorrow.  Or Friday.  Just being honest. Right now I need to recount my quick trip to Galveston with my girl. 

Yep.  You read that right. 

Saturday night Luke spent the night at Mom and Dad's because Sunday morning Mom and Ashley were taking him to Colorado City to visit my grandfather.  He's been BEGGING to go and Mom usually goes out there at least once per summer, so I consented to the whole killing-two-birds-with-one-stone concept and let them take him. 

This left me with one child and lots of free time.  So, I decided to go somewhere.  And that somewhere turned out to be Galveston.  It's only 5 hours from here to there, but it took us 6 with the stops and whatnot. At 9:00 am I tossed a few things in a bag (my new Vera Bradely Grand Traveler bag, to be exact.  The one I bought with my birthday money.  It's been begging me to go somewhere.  Taunting me, if you will.)

First stop?  A farm store with fresh produce.
(excuse the crummy photos, I was balancing a diaper bag on one shoulder, a baby on the other hip, and attempting to not drop the camera)

See those buckets of blueberries?  I bought one, along with a bag of peaches, a sandwich, and a homemade chocolate fried pie.  Hey, it was lunch time.  Also, I now have more blueberries and peaches than I know what to do with.  The produce was a fresh and pesticide free, so we just plopped down outside and started eating the berries by the hand full.  Then Evan reached over before I could stop her and grabbed a peach....

(cheesin' at all the people passing us by, so proud of herself for eating a peach like a big girl)

She LOVED it!  I mean loved it.  You should have seen the fit when I took it away from her.  Apparently not letting your toddler eat a peach pit is the meanest. thing. ever.

Later we stopped at Sonic so she could crawl around in the back of the car.  Soon enough Houston loomed in front of us. 

We didn't stop in Houston though, just drove straight through.  Actually, we drove until we hit the ocean.  Literally.  If you aren't familiar with highway 45, it actually dead ends on the beach. 

Which obviously lead us to our next order of business.  Beach time!

She was THRILLED with the sand and the water.  You should have heard the squeals and giggles that commenced.  She splashed, ate sand, tried to crawl out to deeper water, kicked, etc. 

This is the only picture I had a stranger take of us.  As you can see, it's by no means Mexico.  It's murky and a little fishy smelling, but sand is sand, ocean is ocean, and my girl and I got to stand on it's brink and feel the weight of creation in the presence of our Creator. 

Okay I did.  I think Evan mostly felt like she wanted to get down and play.

After we played for awhile I decided it was time to get a hotel room.  Luckily the one right across the street looked nice, and it turns out I was right.  It was lovely.  And laying in bed, this was my view. 

After I got the (2) bags up to the room, we went down to the hotel pool to wash the sand off and kill a few more minutes before getting ready for dinner.  I let Evan have another peach.

She had to lose a floatie to be able to get her hand to her mouth.

Dinner was a delicious fare of fish tacos, then I ran over to Target for more sunscreen and snacks for me for after Evan went to bed.  Only draw back to traveling with a baby- early bed time and no where for me to go.  On our way back to the hotel after Target, a flock of sea gulls flew up right in front of me, and I accidentally hit one with the grille of my car.  All I saw in the rear view mirror was a pouf of feathers and a body rolling down the street.  :(  My bad, bird. 

Monday morning we slept till 8 and then just hung around the room until check out time.  The good thing about traveling with a toddler?  She totally entertains herself.  In the cutest ways possible. 

By 10:30 we were packed up and ready to hit the road to come home.  It was a sweet, short trip.  Just what I needed.  I was so glad to get to have such a special time with my baby girl.  While I'm looking forward to doing things just with Luke, mother/son things, there is something about having girl time that is totally different. If she had been a little older, we would have painted nails, I would have fixed her makeup, and she would have played with my hair. 

And just like that we were home.


We played with her toys, had pancakes with strawberries and raspberries and a gazillion more blueberries.  Today I'm back a work.  I'm glad I got the chance to be spontaneous.  It's been since.....college? since I've gotten to do something like that.  I've missed it.  Last week was a hard week.  Cody started the divorce papers.  A friendship that I've held very dear ended.  Evan pretty much got weaned.  The emotional toll was a hefty one and all the time in the car gave me a chance for lots of prayer.  It was good.

P.S.- I saw a couple of statues.  The Sam Houston one was just on the side of the highway, and the other one was in the middle of Galveston.  I thought they were interesting. 

No comments: