Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend

This weekend was another good one. Friday night the kids and I just hung out at home- I cleaned, they played. I'd had a rough day emotionally, and I was thankful for some down time with my little people. Saturday I let Luke choose the activities. We could either go to the regular pool in the morning and be home the rest of the afternoon, or be home in the morning and go to the water park after nap (it doesn't open till 1). He chose the water park (actually he wanted to do both, but I told him that wasn't an option!), so we hung out at the house and.....get this.....STAYED COOL.

Y'all.  I got my ac/heater replaced last Monday, and it's the first time we haven't sweated out the heat of the day. The ac/heater was original to the house (yeah, like 40 years old) and just couldn't keep up with our Texas summers of 100+ temps. It would run all day, never get below 83, and be pretty humid. But this Saturday? It was the first Saturday in the 6 years I've lived there that clothing might actually be an option. We didn't take the option, but it was nice to know it was there.

So what did I do on my first cool indoor Saturday?

Worked in the garage.

I know. Pitiful. But I had to start digging out Evan's baby clothes to take inventory. I THINK with some leggings and cardi's, I can make a good 3/4 of my summer baby clothes work for my new winter baby. Maybe? I'll let you know how that goes in 6 months. I washed two full loads of 0-3 months clothes, so surely something's gonna work. Just nod yes.

After our water park excursion, the kids and I went to the grocery store, then called in Fuzzy's to go because low and behold, the grocery store was out of rotisserie chicken. (come one people. It was 6 on Saturday. You didn't think I'd actually be cooking at this point, did you?).

Sunday as I was putting my makeup on, I turned around to a little someone playing dress up in my clothes. It has begun!

Sunday morning was church as usual, then home for lunch (Mom was sick) and nap time. After nap time I took the kids to the pool where we spent the remainder of the afternoon. Dinner time came and I still didn't feel like cooking, so we had the BEST. NIGHT. EVER. in the words of my children: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, real (!) chips, baby carrots, and homemade chocolate cupcakes all in a tent while we watched Emperors New Groove. The pool was a hit. The food was a hit. The movie was a hit. Basically I won Best Mom In the World award last night.

 
One thing I do wish I was better at was recording some of the funny things the kids are saying these days. Yesterday morning before church Luke was playing with a Lego airplane he'd built. I'm getting dressed and he tells me "Mom, I crashed my plane." So of course I play along. "Oh no! Were there any survivors?" He just looks at my like I'm crazy and says "Um, no. It's just a model plane." Oh. Well. My bad, son. And then after nap we were all lounging on my bed (I'd taken one too), when I heard a toot. Silly me assumed it was Luke and called him out on it. That's when my precious, darling, sweet daughter pipes up with "No Mommy! It was me! I toot! 'Scuse me!" Oi.


 
This picture was taken a few weeks ago, but I forgot to write about it. Evan did really good in her bed when she first got it, but after about a month I'd have to go in there two or three times to put her back to bed. She'd turn on her little bed lamp and read books, play with her babies, change her jammies, basically do whatever she wanted. She'd always end up back in bed asleep, but I never knew what toys would be out when I went to check on her. See the proof? I always put my kids to bed with picked up floors- not baby items and stuffed animals everywhere. We've gone over the list of things not to do so many time now that as she climbs into bed she chants "No babies. No books. No wight. No ca-set. (closet) No cwothes off." It seems to help- I don't find toys mysteriously out anymore, but I do find her asleep at the end of her bed instead of on her pillow. My silly girl.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I've probably got some baby girl winter clothes if you need to use some. I am impressed that you put the kids to bed with clean rooms...I am always so done by bedtime that their rooms stay messy.