Sunday, October 9, 2011

Two games, a ceremony, and being home

Hi.  Remember me?  That one girl that used to post almost every day and now is slacking at barely once a week.  So sorry.  I blame work.  I spend the entire day on the computer so by the time I get home the last thing I want to do is turn on the lap top. 

A lot of nice things have happened over the last couple of weeks.  Unfortunately my memory only extends over the last couple of days.  For real. 

This week has been fairly busy.  Monday night the kids and I had dinner at the Wyatt's.  Tuesday we were home, and Wednesday we skipped church because there is a terrible stomach bug going around.  I ended up going over to Shae's so we could walk the block and I didn't get home until 11:30.  Thursday night was soccer practice and Friday night was the homecoming game at my high school.  Considering this was my 10 year, I packed up the kids and Ashley and we headed over to the game. 

 (Do you know how hard it was to get a picture that was still this terrible?!  But I had to document his first sports event ever.)
(I really wanted a picture of the cheerleaders stunting, to bring back old memories, but they didn't ever do any in front of us.  I was so disappointed!)

The game was okay.  The football was terrible, but the company was nice.  I got to sit with 10 or so people I knew way back when and it was nice to catch up.  The only not nice part was everyone asking "Where is your husband?"  (and I was the only one who brought kids).  Having to talk about the divorce even on a shallow level wasn't pleasant.  There was only one other person there that wasn't married.  Yay me.  Luke was asking (very politely I might add, I'm SO THANKFUL both kids were on their very best behavior) to go by the middle of the third quarter.  Since the score was 0-30 I felt like I'd seen enough shame so we packed it up. 

Saturday morning was Luke's game.   I have to say, he's getting a little better each week.  Yesterday I didn't have to bribe him with sugary cereal and fruit snacks just to get him on the field.  He actually went out willingly and each time stays a little bit longer out there before walking away.  And he's running with the kids!  I don't think he still has any concept of what the point of soccer is- kicking the ball and being a team and what not- but he's at least staying with the pack.  And not even at the back of the pack sometimes. 

Yay soccer!  Go Strikers!

Last night was Jenn's vowel renewal, which took place in Sara's back yard.  It was so sweet.  She and Derek got married at the courthouse, so I'm very glad I got to witness her finally getting a wedding.  And she looked beautiful!  Plus it gave me a solid, valid excuse to not go to the reunion last night.  I didn't have to correct any body about my "ex" husband and make superficial small talk.  Listening to vows about commitment and covenant and how God loves what they were doing was hard, but at least I was with my people.  People who love me.  People who hugged me and told me I was brave. 

Cause here's the thing.  I loved being married.  Having someone to come home to, eat dinner with, talk with before drifting off to sleep, curl up on the couch with, brush the hair away from my face when it needed it, and just someone to plain make memories with has been hard to let go of.  But believe me when I say that I'm doing WAY better than I was.  I'm actually okay.  God has been good to me. Maybe I'll have that again one day,  maybe I won't, but either way I'm fine with whatever He leads me through.

Someone found her puppy.  And we stayed in our p.j.'s all day.  Love.

Today has been a day unlike one I've had for a long time.  Luke threw up right before bible class this morning, so obviously we had to stay home.  It's rained the entire morning, so I parked it on the couch with a cup of coffee (okay.  It was two.) and got all caught up on my DVR.  Luke has played and been his normal self (although I didn't let him eat anything noon, and even then it was just a piece of dry toast) and I've got to hold my baby more today than I think I have in the past week combined.  My sweet Evan.  She's been a bit fussy the last few days and I'm not sure why.  If she's cutting a tooth, I'm gonna be mad.  I am NOT ready for that.  At all.  I mean, who has a baby that cuts a tooth a week after she's born?

What.  She's older than a week?  Totally could have fooled me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture of Evan at the game is SO cute!!!!!

Lucy Marie said...

Love you, girl. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Sara said...

You are brave. And awesome. And we do love you. Don't forget!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Funny you should mention the tooth...my husband's cousin broke her first tooth at one week. And then, well, breast feeding was history.