Monday, June 18, 2012

Birthday weekend

So Thursday was my birthday.  I'm 29.  I've said it, lets move on.

Thursday night Mom and Dad took me and the kids and Ashley to dinner, then back to my house for cake and presents.  I'm now sitting on a gold mine of Vera Bradley gift cards and it's burning a hole in my pocket.  Do I get a weekender bag for the traveling I never do?  Wait and see if they come out with a new messenger in the fall?  Get a cross body bag in case I start carrying a purse again?  What fabric to I get?  One now or what if the new fall colors are better? 

Bah.  Too many choices.

Friday night Mom had offered to let the kids spend the night.  I got all dressed up and didn't end up doing very much.  Mostly hung around town with friends before turning in early after a busy week.  The good news?  I didn't get up until almost 9 (now I wasn't sleeping, more just laying in bed.  Thank you children for ruining my ability to actually sleep in.) and then met Mom and Dad with the kids at the pool.  Swam for awhile, which ended up wearing out Evan so much that she passed out in the 3 minute car ride home and didn't wake up when I transferred her from the car to her high chair (it was lunch time after all) and then into bed.  She slept till 2. 

And of course, Sunday was Father's day.  I'm not gonna lie.  It wasn't the best day.  I probably should have just stayed off all social media.  Father's day and Thanksgiving time are probably the hardest times not to let bitterness creep in.  Reading everyone's "My kids have the best daddy in the whole world" and "I"m so thankful for such a wonderful husband and father to my kids" posts are a little hard to swallow still.  The thoughts of why don't the kids and I deserve that too creep in and pull me down.  I have amazing kids.  Why can't they have what their friends have? 

Nope.  Not bitter at all.

Speaking of those amazing kids, it was just the three of us at lunch on Sunday so I took us to Fuzzy's.  They coordinated in pink and were adorable. 


Evan was letting me know she didn't want a picture made, just food please.  FOOD PLEASE.  Luke was trying to be a good big brother and make her feel better.

While we were at lunch chatting, I asked Luke what he learned about in bible class that morning.  He said Jacob and Esau.  I said oh yeah? tell me about those guys.  He said that Esau liked to cook and Jacob liked to hunt.  I told him that was true and asked him what Esau liked to cook.  "Well, maybe M&M's I think."

Later that afternoon was was cleaning up my jewelry box and found an old baby ring of mine. 


I could just eat those little pudgy fingers up.

That night we had small groups at the Raymond's.  The kids were just playing in the play room while the grown ups talked, and towards the end Luke decided he'd had enough play and was ready to come find me.  I whispered to him that he needed to go back for just a few more minutes, the grown ups were still talking a little bit.  Instead of heading back to the play room, he climbed up in one of the tall chairs and just started in with "So, today I was jumping off of Mommy's bed and it was fun.  What did ya'll do today?"  The way he just plunged right in and was "joining" in the conversation just slayed me.  I wanted to squeeze that baby to pieces and burst with pride at the big brave boy he's becoming.  For some reason it just really pricked at my momma heart. 

Don't be fooled by him though.  He was also caught rummaging through the Raymond's pantry and eating their popcorn.  He came running through saying "But my tummy looooooves to eat!" And then a few minutes later he ran into the wall.  When he didn't cry, he pranced around like a pony shouting about how brave he was.  It was the funniest thing, Tamara and I were DYING.  Probably not funny to read, but I don't ever want to forget that picture.

And Evan?

She took her first steps last night.  And I got them on video.  But it's sideways and I can't figure out how to rotate it and then get it on here, so you'll just have to take my word for it. 

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday. It sounds like it was relaxing. I thought of you lots yesterday .. I know that it is a hard day for you :(

And yay for Evan taking her first steps. She is growing up so freaking fast.