Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Who needs chores?

So, the last two days I have forsaken everything else to make my bag. It's been......interesting. When I get a craft idea, I can't do anything else until it's done. Did I feed my child? Yes. Did I let my dog outside? Once. Did I stick to my chore chart? Absolutely not. I have set for myself a chore chart to have some accountability on when things get done. It's nothing fancy or extreme: Monday- clean bathrooms Tuesday- do laundry Wednesday- ironing Thursday- clean floors. All the other little things like dusting, wiping down the whole kitchen, etc. get done on an as needed basis. Or more accurately, on a as guests come basis. How many people really dust their house EVERY single week? Maybe that's why my allergies are so bad.....

Another thing I have started is Beth Moore's Breaking Free book. I tried to read it once before, but only got a couple of chapters into it before life caught up with me and stole my interest. This time is different though. I have wholeheartedly committed myself to memorizing the scripture that goes with it, ashamed at what little scripture I know by heart seeing I've gone to church my entire life. The study is exactly what I need. Cody and I still struggle in our marriage and I can tell that being more open in God's word has a profound positive impact on us. This thing that we are in, it's almost like an addiction- when we are good we are really, really good...but when we are bad, oh, it's so bad. To help hide the Word in my heart I've put my ring of index cards where I've written different verses on my wallet cord. When we are at the store I try and read Luke a couple of different verses as we walk around and I practice the ones I am trying to commit to memory. My biggest fear is raising a son that is wishy washy in the Lord (well, my biggest fear after my fear of losing my husband). I hope that setting these examples now will impact him in the future and he will be a better man for it.

2 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Way to go on the chore list - most of mine are done on an as needed basis (and like you said that equals an as company is coming basis). I can't wait to see how the bag turns out and how you like the Beth Moore book. I am hoping to join a women's bible study this fall at my church. They have been doing different Beth Moore programs for a few years now but I have not had the chance to join yet.

This Texas Momma said...

You should do one, they are amazing! I have done two studies, plus saw her satellite conference last year. My church will be starting her Ester series in a few weeks, and I'm ready for it!