Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First day of preschool

Well, I did it.  I made it through his first day of school.  Granted he's 3, and it's just preschool, but I'm a little glad I had this job to take my mind off of it. 

I took another half day so that I could take him to school and not be rushed through the morning. It's a good thing I did, cause I was slightly a mess.  It could have been worse.  It is me after all.  I was thinking on my drive that it sure would be nice to turn the emotions off and tuck my sensitive and sentimental heart somewhere else for awhile.  But then I realized I wouldn't have any idea of who I was.  That's just who I am, take it or leave it.

I also got to thinking about what a big deal this all is.  He's going to school.  It pulls at my momma's heart, but I know it's the best for him.  It offers him things that I can't.  Learning how to be a friend.  What it means to stand up for yourself.  That it's okay to be (a little) independent.  All of this, of course, made me boo hoo even more.  But that's a part of life.  A part of growing up. These are all things he needs to learn to become the man I want him to be. 


And Luke in all of this?  He was ready.  He was so engrossed in watching what everyone was doing that he would barely look at me for a picture.  He found something to play with right away, waiting for Dakota to come over, and wouldn't even kiss me goodbye.  He is his mother's child.


I did get to talk to him on the phone after Cindy picked him up.  The first thing he told me was that he pee peed in the potty.  Whew!  His classroom is in a modular, and that actually works in his favor I believe.  They have set bathroom breaks where everyone goes at the same time.  I'm pretty sure if it was up to him he would never stop playing, so this works out well.  He also told me that he played cars and sang songs.  I asked him if he liked his lunch, and h said yes.


When I picked him up, he was actually ready to come home.  She said  that he laid in bed and just talked to himself for most of nap time, getting only about an hour of sleep.  I walked in the door, he wanted to be held, and he wanted to go home and go night night.  His words.  Poor kid was EXHAUSTED from his day.  Which also meant he was a beast.  He didn't want to get out of the car, and Cody happened to be at the house so I had him bring in the monster.  Luke cried and cried, so he and I ate a quick dinner, had a rice crispy treat, a quick bath, and was in bed by 7:30.  Then I jumped in the shower with Evan, fed her, and put her down.  The house was blessedly quiet by 8:30.  Hopefully everyone under the age of 4 in this house will sleep the whole night away.

2 comments:

Justine said...

Very cute! Love your little note in his lunch.

Lucy Marie said...

So sweet. He is going to do so well at school!