Thursday, August 5, 2010

To sleep or not to sleep

This morning Luke woke up at 6:15.



He actually startled Cody because he was already in the living room playing with the clean laundry I left in there when he went to let the dog out.  At 6:15.  Normally we just tell him to go get back in bed, but this morning Cody fed him.  FED HIM!  Now, I'm sure you're thinking "wouldn't a sane, loving parent feed their child when he's hungry?"  and normally I would agree with you.  But NO!  Not at 6:30 in the morning!  We've got to draw the line somewhere or the next thing I know there will be a little face next to mine in the dark saying "Mom.  Mom.  Mom.  I'm hungry." 

Nope.  Not going to be me.  So if I have to be the mean ole woman who won't feed her child at 6:30, so be it. 

As you can imagine, this made for a rather long morning.  I gave him a hair cut (best one yet, if I do say so myself).  We watched cartoons.  We ate crumb cake. Finally I  got him to eat lunch, and down for a nap.  I waited about 25 minutes to make sure he was down and not just playing, and then I went outside to catch some rays.  See, I have gotten so caught up on all my housework the last couple of days that I allowed myself the luxury of doing nothing today.  I laid out for about 30 minutes, and then called it quits because of the intense heat (heat index of 111 today).  I went in, peeped through Luke's door knob to make sure he was asleep, then went into the bathroom to turn on the bath water. 

Oddly enough, I heard a little voice over the rush of water.  Creeping out, I found Luke in the living room.  Aww man!  His nap didn't even last an hour.  Couple that with the early morning and it didn't bode well for the rest of the day.  He was snacking on what was left of his lunch, so I told him I would be right back, I was gonna take a quick shower.

Weeelll, it wasn't the fastest shower, but 20 minutes later I was damp and clean and looking for my kid.  Hmmmmmmmm.......the doors were all locked, so he had to be there somewhere........and then I found him.

He has not ever, I mean EVER, gone back to sleep once woken up from his nap.  Ever.  He has not slept anywhere in this house but his bed.  Ever.  Even when we brought him home from the hospital.  So imagine my shock when I found him asleep on the guest bed in the computer room.  In fact, at first I thought he was pretending to sleep.  I wish I could have watched what happened leading up to him sleeping there.  But sleep he did, for an hour and a half longer. 

The rest of the day went by as usual.  Lots of running.  Lots of laughing.  Quite a bit of whining/crying.  Reading the same "Trains" book over and over and over again.  Daddy came home.  Lots of climbing on Daddy.  Ate dinner.  Ish.  Mostly he ate just sweet potato fries.  Then it was bath time.  I'll confess, we have a habit of letting him play while we pop in and out of the bathroom to check on him.  Usually he just sits there and waits for us to wash us.  Real exciting stuff. 

But today, today was different.  Today he thought it was hysterical to take the big cup and pour water into the back corner of the tub.  Oh to be a toddler and easily entertained.  I just shook my head and told him he better not pour water on the floor.  Well, fast forward 10 minutes and the splash starts sounding different.  Same hysterical laugh, different splash.  Why did it sound different?  Because the water was hitting the tile.  Of the floor.  By the time I got in there, there was at least 6 giant cups of water on the floor.  I screamed.  Cody came running.  It took three bath towels to sop it up. 

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

Your first mistake was telling him not to put the water on the floor. That planted the seed. Before Mommy said that, he didn't even know that pouring it on the floor was an option :)