Sunday, January 24, 2010

Suprise Party!

I can finally talk about what I've been doing  for the last two weeks.....getting ready to throw Mom a suprise party!  Ashley, Dad, and I decided that turning 50 was a pretty big deal, so we got all of her friends together and had a shin-dig.  Since Mom was  born in 1960, we thought a 60's themed  party would be perfect!  I put in the evite that costumes were optional, and while it was a given that we would dress up, I wasn't sure how many people would come in their best hippy gear.  But some did!  It was great!

But ya'll.....oh ya'll.....the only other party I have ever thrown was Luke's first birthday.  About half way through the planning process I was  a little afraid of what I had gotten myself into.  What, you don't throw a suprise party for 50 people (including dinner) every day?  I don't even cook for my little family!  But you know what?  It wasn't that bad.  I took it step by step.......guests?  Check.  Cake?  Check.  Decorations?  Check.  Slide show of pictures of Mom growing up?  Check. Food?  Check. 

Then I (to Ashley's mucho groaning) made us start really early yesterday morning to get everything ready.  And tada!  It was fantastic!  We fixed smoked bristket, bbq sauce on the side, baked beans, green beans, 2 types of potato salad, cole slaw, two types of bread, tea, and of course the cake.  We played a game where I read a statement about Mom and they had to hold up a card that said true or false, and then Mom had to tell the story about it.  I still had people come up to me this morning and tell me how much fun they had.  And now for the pictures!


How fun is  this groovy cake? 

Luke ate his roll with a fork again.

One of the shots of the people and decor.  It looks a little bleh in the picture, but we had flowers on the tables, 60's posters everywhere, the slide show playing, and bright colors everywhere you turn!

Take a big breath Mom!  Holy moly, you should have seen me try to serve and cut that cute cake.  I D.E.S.T.R.O.Y.E.D. it.

My groovy  family.  I spent an afternoon tye dying us all shirts (except Ashley, she wouldn't wear one of mine, she had to wear one she already had), and I found my vest, jeans, and Dad's vest at Goodwill.  I split my jeans and added the fabric to make them bell  bottoms and painted the back of  my vest with a peace sign, heart, and smiley face.  So now if you want to invite me to a hippy party I'll have something to wear.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your Momma!

Since I am still celebrating my 51-and-how-the-heck-did-I-get-here birthday, please allow me to send you/her (and all who read this) a birthday gift; my gift is the link to a free cover-to-cover read of my book.

It's about how my amazing Spirit-led journey that began on the birthday that all of my friends forgot! (One of my best birthdays yet!)

Just sign up here: no experts needed dot com. No strings/spam attached, really! (I know, hard to believe these days :-)

It's simply my way of giving back.

Continue the celebration,
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
www.noexpertsneeded.com

Lucy Marie said...

So fun! It looks like it went so well. All of your hard work paid off!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You are a special daughter!! :)

Unknown said...

Check you out, Miss Partay Planner!! Looks like you had a fun time celebrating!! Great job!! :o)

Barefeet Photography said...

Your party looks like it went SO well! Everything looks super cute! And your costume....perfect :) I especially like the denim vest over the tie die. You truly look like to stepped right out of the 1960s!

-Taylor