Thursday, March 17, 2011

An up and down kinda day

This morning started off well enough.  Earlier than I wanted, but well enough.  Actually, I take that back.  I was a bit of a grump at first, but my sweet sweet boy gave me a random unsolicited kiss on the cheeck (something that happens only once every couple of months, not nearly enough for this momma, especially since he can't/hasn't said "I love you" yet!) and how can you be a grump after that?  We had breakfast, watched last night's America's Next Top Model (don't judge), and then got ready to meet Shae and Dakota (and Mikah!) at the park. 

Here's where we hit our first down.  We were supposed to be there at 10, but at five after I was still getting us together.  I was putting some apple juice/water in Luke's cup to take with us, but he wanted orange juice.  Normally I would let him have the o.j. but I didn't think it would be very quenching when you're sweaty on the playground, so I over ruled him as the mom, knowing in 5 minutes he would forget and just down whatever was in the cup.  Except he ran crying from the kitchen to throw a fit, and he bashed his head into the corner of the counter on his way out.  Oh the screaming.  At first I didn't see anything on his head, but I was looking in the wrong place.  I finally saw the inch and a half long trail of blood in his hair, and I didn't know what to do.  It was our first (of many, don't tell me) bloody gash and I blanked on what to do.  So I called Shae to tell her we'd be a few minutes late, and she told me to get a wet rag to hold on it.  Duh.  Hello.  I'm sure she rolled her eyes when I said "What should I do, should I wash his hair to get the blood out?"  Oh geez.  The wet rag did the trick, and it turns out there was only an eraser sized cut on the top of his head.  The bleeding finally stopped, but then I felt a little woozy (I don't handle blood well), so I laid down on the couch for a minute. 

Finally we made it to the park.  The day was looking up!  Although a tad windy, the day was beautiful.  The boys had fun.  Dakota tried to convince me to go to McDonalds for lunch.  I comprimised on Chick Fil A.  Okay, I more actually just won, but whatever.  He's 3.  We headed over and had a great time in our little booth. 

Then another down happened.  Shae and I were cleaning up the table, and I looked around for Luke to wipe his hands off.  I didn't see him, so I took a lap around the place to see if he'd snuck into the playground.  That's when I saw him.  Across the parking lot, at the car.  My heart stopped.  The place had gotten a little crowded, but who lets a 2 year old out the door unattended?  I sprinted (yes, 7 months pregnant belly and all) out the door and out too him.  I was so shaken up I didn't even know what to say to him to get him to understand how dangerous what he'd done was.  All I could keep saying (that I remember) was "You never ever ever leave without Momma.  You never go through the door without Mom.  You always stay with Mom."  We went back in for my wallet and drink, then it was home to nap.   I almost needed it more than he did at that point.

This afternoon I got my sewing on some more.  I finished that blanket for Evan-


not bad for a $1.50 at Target, right?  Of course it didn't turn out as simple as I thought it would, the ribbon was hard to keep straight, and the letters didn't pop as much as I wanted so I had to go back over them with a different color thread which made the fabric ripple.  But whatever.  No one's really going to see it up close.  I also made my first little skirt/onesie set.



Obviously I still need to sew around the flower applique, but you get the idea.  This is some fabric I'm not as crazy about as others, so I thought it would be a good trial combination in case it bombed.  Not having and measurements or deminsions to go off of was a little tricky.  Now I know that I need more fabric around the waist to create a better gather, and it probably needs to be longer.  But I'm gonna wait until Taylor birth's us a Vera and then go over and try it on her to see how much longer for the next one.  Maybe I should ask Taylor about that.......

While I did that Luke was playing outside.  Of course he fell on the concrete and skinned his knee pretty bad.  Why wouldn't he today?  I also tried him in undies again this afternoon, and after two accidents I deemed us done for a little while.  Maybe we'll try again next month.  He still hated to put on the underwear, refused to go in the potty, having both accidents right after I had asked him if he needed to go.  I don't want it to become a battle, and if he's not ready then I'm not going to fight it.  To much work to fight it.

3 comments:

Tara Edwards said...

That's true girl! Don't fight it! I learned the hard way, I thought Maddie would be in kindergarten before she was potty trained, then one day, she wanted to wear panties, and that was it!
Evans room is adorable, I'm making a few things for Maddies big girl room, but my appliqué's keep bunching. I need LOTS more practice!

Melanie said...

I agree on the potty training thing. Wait until he is ready and it will be so much easier! Also, on the skirt gathering, figure out the waist size and do twice that much fabric. I tried with less than twice Madison's waist size once and it looked like a pencil skirt. Needless to say, she never wore it. Unfortunately, I don't know what a baby waist size is.

Lucy Marie said...

So sorry you had a rough day. I hope today is looking up. Get yourself some Dr Pepper and enjoy. Love you, friend!