Saturday, March 20, 2010

Not how today was supposed to go

So today was supposed to be a relaxing day.  Yesterday I spent the entire day cleaning my house, with the windows open and the music blaring.  It was a gorgous sunny day, high in the mid 70's.  Luke slept until 9 and we had fun playing after I was done.

Today he woke up at 7:45.  To the rain.  The very cold rain. I figured I would bake my cake, dust, and sit and drink lots of coffee. 

About 10 I started to bake the cake.  It was then that I realized I had no butter.  I called Mom and she brought me some, along with extra chairs and a table cloth (I'm throwing a baby shower tomorrow, did I tell you?).  Finally about 12:30 I got to start.  I needed to make two cake mixes worth, so by the time both sets got baked and cooled, it was about 4:30 before I could start decorating.  That's when I realized I had two different kinds of icings.  *sigh* Looks like we had to go to the store anyway.

I needed to take a shirt back that I bought on Thursday because it was too small, and the store is out by one of the Walmarts here in town.  I think to myself "I'll get the icing and more butter at Walmart and take the shirt back, and then I'll be caught up with errands."  So I got Luke and I dressed warmly, because the temperature was dropping, and drove over to Walmart.  We had to park in the farthest away spot.  It was so cold that I carried him like an infant in my arms and RAN up the parking lot to the store.  Frigid.  And guess what?  They didn't have the icing I wanted.  I was so irritated.  I bundle Luke up in my arms and RAN back to the car with SNOWFLAKES swirling around.  You heard me.  Snow.  Flakes. 

So we go and take my shirt back, and then run into Tom Thumb.  Good ole faithful Tom Thumb.  They had what I needed. 

We get home, and I start icing the cakes.  I even out the bottom half of the bottom layer, and starting spreading on the chocolate icing.  Except everytime I moved the knife to spread it, the cake fell apart a little bit more.  I ended up with this.


I was so upset that at one point I may have actually jumped up and down several times screaming, sufficiently scaring my child.  Out raged we headed BACK to the store to get another cake mix, more eggs, and an extra can of icing just in case.  By 6:30 I'm mixing up a third cake.  An hour later I can start the icing expedition again. 

I WILL NEVER BAKE A CAKE FOR AN EVENT AGAIN.  I am too much of a perfectionist, too self conscious, too.......Lindsey..........to do this again.  I am disappointed at how it turned out, but I'm a little stuck.  It's lop sided and I couldn't get the icing as smooth as I wanted.  Part of the white piping is shaky, and trying to deal with Luke during all of this was the most frustrating thing I've done in a long time.  I know that Sara will love it tomorrow, but I just know how some of the other ladies are when they leave.  "Did you see the way it leaned?"  "That cake was pitiful, you could totally tell it was homemade."  I may not ever find out what they say, but I know that things will be said so it's hurtful all the same.  But like I said, I'm stuck.  I'll contemplate putting pictures up tomorrow.  And I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but whatever.

On a brighter note, I got to use my great grandmother's cake plate!  I've had it for years and never got to use it.  Isn't it beautiful? 


Also, today was the first day of spring.  As I've previously mentioned, yesterday was absoluetly perfect, and today the temperature totally bottomed out.  In fact, about 8:30 tonight I took this from the back door. 


Amazing, huh?  I blame myself really.  I switched out Luke's entire wardrob on Thursday to summer clothes and packed up all of his winter things.  So it's all my fault, I'm the one who jinxed the weather.  Also I'm guessing you are probably wondering where Cody was in all of this today.  Well, I didn't want to say anything (you know, in case crazy robber/murderers take the time to stop by and read this and know where I live), but Cody's been out of town since Wednesday afternoon.  He was going to leave straight from work, but if you remember he forgot something and gave me a little scare.  He went on his annual BFF trip with Dillon to South Padre and they are on their way back.  Not a moment too soon either, I obviously needed my partner today!  I even tried to make a fire for myself tonight, but lets just call that a FAIL.

And now for maybe my most random observation in awhile, but (don't judge) I've got Golden Girls on in the back ground while I type, and a very young George Clooney is on this episode!  Who knew? 

4 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Ahh girl I am so sorry that the cake didn't turn out the way you wanted to. That always happens to me, whenever I have a vision or idea of how I wanted something to turn out (whether a baked good, a craft, a scrapbook page, whatever) it just never turns out right and I, too, have been known to do the jumping up and down screaming type thing. I'm sure it still looked wonderful and you were probably just overly critical of yourself. I hope the shower is going/goes/went well! Can't wait to hear about it. xoxo

Kristin Crowder said...

I'm sure no one will leave talking about your cake...they'll leave talking about how super cute your house is!!

Susan Cooper said...

Oh Lindsey! You and I are of a kindred spirit. We should start our own OCD perfectionist club! When it comes to projects I do, substandard is not acceptable! I did realize at one point though that no one really cares about it as much as me. Which sucks cause you work really hard. Anywhoo...the pictures are fab and your decor is awesome! And that cake! Wow!!!

Foltermann said...

You are a nut! The cake was wonderful! I have never had a more special cake made for me in all my life. When I got home, I was telling Caleb about it and all I could do was just sniffle over it and how perfect everything was. It is hard to think of a time I have felt more loved and special. Thank you, friend.