Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pink highlighter

Yesterday was a perfect day.  The kind of day romanticised about in the minds of anyone who is not actually a stay at home mom.  We stayed in bed until 9.  I was able to enjoy the DVR and coffee until 10.  We went to the park from 10:30 to 12.  I got to pick up something for lunch on the way home.  Everyone went down for a nap quickly and I got to eat lunch in solitude with a book (and Luke ate his sandwich quickly before nap time!).  After nap we spent the rest of the afternoon in the backyard before getting Wing Stop for dinner.  The only snaffu was when Luke found a pink highlighter.  And painted his face with it. 


I was so glad that it came off relatively easily, once I got past the flailing arms and bucking head. 


Having a great day yesterday didn't set today up for much success.  I got spoiled by no whinning.  So when Luke decided it was okay to get up at 7, I was a little dissapointed.  And when he decided to make it a long morning where nothing was going his way, he was dissapointed and made sure there were enough tears to let me know it. 

Another big milestone did happen today though.....Luke has learned to open doors.  No more are the days of safety where simply closing a door will do the trick.  Now I'm going to have to go get some of those annoying door knob covers to put everywhere.  Ug, I hate those.  So now Luke gets time out when he goes in Daddy's room (aka- the computer room where he gets up and pushes all the buttons on it).  Tonight he went in there while Cody was on the comptuer, and before I could stop myself I said "You know you're not supposed to be in here.  You know you get time out when you do."  And my sweet sweet boy ran off down the hall and plopped himself in his time out spot, no fits or crying or anything.  Oh I just wanted to hug him.  But I was strong and set the timer (even though I hadn't really meant for him to actually have a time out).  Don't tell him, but just this time I set the timer for just a few seconds instead of the whole minute.  I couldn't bear to do it.

Maybe my day was just a little pessimistic due to all the cholesterol I consumed yesterday.  Not only did I have the world's worst healthiest food for you for dinner- wings and fries, but I had Jack-in-the-Box for lunch.  I had not eaten at either of those places in YEARS, and I could practically hear my arteries gearing up for the war I launched on them.  That and all of my jeans groaning at the thought of the strain that will be placed on them in the next few weeks as I convince myself that they will still fit with 30 extra pounds hanging around my middle.  I could have made up for it today, chosen really good eating choices for my self.  Nah.  I thought chicken nugget shaped patties (that's what the bag says!), Bagel Bites, and mac'n'cheese sounded better. 

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I wish Madison would put herself in timeout! Way to go Luke!

ps: LOVED the shower cake you made.

Erin said...

Hi Linds! I've never commented, but I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE your blog, and enjoy reading about Luke and his adventures :) And, non-crafty me loves to see all the cool stuff you do <3

Erin said...

oh, also, you probably know a lot of Erin's....this is Erin Hayes :)

Rachel said...

Bahahah! I LOVE the pink highlighter- that is great!