Saturday, May 8, 2010

Graduation Day!

So graduation didn't start until 10, but the place that they hold it isn't big enough to hold everyone.  That means you have to go early.  Dad and Grandy left at 8 to get us seats, and Dad said that there were already about 100 people ahead of him when he got there.  We left at 9 to make sure to get a parking spot.  All this would have been overwhelmingly early except Luke thought 6:45 was a good time to get up. 

It was held in the athletic center, and let me tell you, it was a TIGHT fit.  I'm talking knees in stranger's backs, elbow to elbow, and tailbone on a very hard wooden bench.  Luke lasted all of 6 minutes in there, and Cody had to take him out.  I think secretly Cody didn't mind because then he didn't have to sit through a long boring ceremony.  (But he did find a side door and got to watch Ashley walk across the stage)  As soon as her little class of 9 got their diploma's I went out to "relieve" Cody of daddy duty.  Well, that and to get the feeling back in my bum. 

I know it's dark, but that's what happens when the flash went off.  She's in the middle of the picture, the short one. 

I took Luke out side to run around.  At first he was running around alone, but then he made a friend.  A Chinese friend.  A 20 year old, Chinese friend who barely spoke English.  About 15 minutes later Cody comes out to check on us, because he's seen some strange guy carrying his son around.  Don't worry, I was right there.  And we laughed at the poor sucker who was chasing around our kid.  Apparently this dude didn't get to play with many kids because he was clearly loving it too.  Eventually the ceremony was over, people started pouring out, and I reclaimed my stinky boy. 

What do you mean I have to stand here and be still while you take my picture.  Fine.  But I don't have to look happy about it.

If you get a Christmas card from my mother, chances are (according to Ashley) this is the picture you will get.


This image just melts my heart.

After the pictures and the congratulations and the hugs we went to get our luggage, some lunch, and the rest of Ashley's things.  By 3 we were back on the road...this time with the whole family!  Ashely drove her loaded down car,  Cody drove his loaded down truck, Gran/Grandy/Aunt Patty were in Grandy's loaded down truck, and Grandmother and I got stuck back in the backseat with Sir Screams A Lot agian.  We didn't even make it out of Ashley's neighborhood before he fell asleep, but he only stayed that way for an hour.  The other 5 he was up and ready to be entertained. 

The trip was pretty uneventful and we didn't even eat dinner till we got home at 9.  We went to Rosa's to eat and we joked about how we were THAT family who had the kid who should be in bed.  Do you ever think that?  We do.  I've always been bothered before when I see kids up and running around when it's clearly past a decent bed time.  But the motherhood thing is teaching me not to judge.  You don't know what they've been doing.  Just like those people didn't know we were coming in from a 6 hour drive.  And I was so tired I forgot to order Luke dinner.  Isn't that terrible?  I forgot to feed my kid.  When the food came and I realized the situation I just figured he could eat off of our plates.  It's a good thing I didn't waste money on his food because he wanted nothing to do with anything but the ice in a cup. 

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

Your dress is HOT! :)