Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day, of course

Where have I been all weekend?  In Arkansas, watching my sister graduate and moving her home.  I've got the post started on detailing it on Friday, got interrupted, and am JUST NOW having a chance to sit down at the computer again.  So later on today I'll be wrapping that up and sharing it.

But for now, Mother's Day!  Luke slept sooooo very little this weekend that I decided to let him dictate what would happen this morning.  I didn't set an alarm for church and figured if he was up early enough, fine, but if he wasn't, that was fine too. 

At about 7:15 there was a knock on my bed room window.  Not freaked out in the least,  I peeked out and it was my mother.  Yes.  My mother.  See, it had started to rain at some point, and half of Ashley's belongings were in Cody's truck in our drive way.  So they wanted the keys to take it over to the storage unit RIGHT THEN before it all got ruined.  Fine.  I handed them over and stumbled back to bed. 

Around 7:30 I hear Luke start babbling to himself.  By 8:00 the room was quiet. 

At 9:00 the front door opens and my mother in law drops off the dog (they kept Daisy while we were gone) on their way to bible class and I barely can lift my head up off the pillow.  Cody throws the covers over himself. 

By 10:30 I wake up and lay there, marvelling at how tired Luke must have been.  At 11 he's wimpering, and when I go in there he's still asleep.  So I sit on the floor and watch him.  Is there a better thing to do than absorb a quiet angelic moment with the person who made you a mother on Mother's Day?  Nope.  Eventually he peeps open his eyes, shuts them again, and then starts babbling to me with his eyes close.  Silly boy.  Cody gets up, we all get dressed, and then head out to lunch (I had wanted brunch, but it ended up being so late it was lunch time!)

We head down to Cracker Barrel, and the wait list is 50 minutes long!  Yuck.  So I put our name down, and then we head to the mall to pick up Mom's present.  I know, what a loser to get her Mother's Day present ON Mother's Day, but in my defense I knew what I wanted to get her and we had been so busy the last week I just didn't have a chance.  We let Luke ride the escalator, and he LOVED it.  I mean, giggle like a fool the whole time.  It was cute.  At the top of the escalator there just happens to be a cookie place, and Cody got us some.  I said "Cookies right before lunch?"  He said to live a little, and he was right.  I let it go. 

We got back to Cracker Barrel and there was only one name ahead of us.  Hallelujah!  Within minutes we were seated and I had coffee.  Mmmmmmmm.  Coffffeeeeeeeeeee.  It was a good breakfast/lunch, and I even remembered to get a picture.  (You'll see in my post about the weekend that remember pictures is not my strong suit)

After Cracker Barrel we ran over to Mom and Dad's to drop off her present and say good bye to Gran, Grandy, and Aunt Patty.  Now I'm home, relaxing, and thinking about making some more coffee.  It all adds up to a grrrrrrreat day!  Not quite the sentimental post that most people are writing today, but I'm just not in a sentimental mood (odd for me, I know).  I guess all I have to say is that I LOVE being a mom.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

I think sleeping until 11 is maybe the best mother's day gift ever!

And don't feel bad about getting your mom her gift ON mother's day. I still haven't gotten my mom her's. I won't see her until the end of the month so that's when I'll give it to her. What did you get your mom? I need some ideas!