Monday, May 31, 2010

Keys almost lost in the Twilight Zone

This was a lovely Memorial Day.  This morning Luke slept in until almost 9.  Yay!  We got up (well, Luke and I got up.  Cody never went to bed so technically he didn't "get up".  There was a new video game out and you better believe he pulled an all nighter playing it) and I made muffins, then I watched an episode of Hoarders.  Nothing says happy Memorial Day like a marathon of people living in garbage dumps. 

Anyway, after the one episode I was totally good for the rest of the day, so I turned off the tv and went out back to see what the day was shaping up to be like.  Luke followed me out, but then after a few seconds he went inside.  When he came back, he had an arm full of toys and he literally threw them off the patio into the grass.  Then he went back inside and came back with more.  Then he did it again. 


I'm not saying he got the idea from watching Hoarders, but I do find it odd that he "purged" three arms-full of toys into the back yard directly after watching the show.  However, I do believe I'll pass on watching it again when little eyes are around. 

Pretty soon it was lunch and nap time, so I got the boy fed and into bed.  I also got three loads of laundry done, the floors swepts and mopped, and dusted.  I really wanted to have the house feeling good before we went to Mom and Dad's for the rest of the day.  I had gotten all of that done and Luke STILL hadn't fallen asleep.  My little snoozer has taken a turn for the worse lately.  He just won't fall asleep like he used to (nap time or night time).  I had to go and lay down with him, something that's become a little habit, and he finally fell asleep.  Two hours after getting in bed.  I do have to say though, I really enjoy laying down with him a lot over the past few days.  Curling up in a little toddler sized bed isn't the most comfortable, but I will always cherish the little talks he *tries* to have with me (I generally try to gently shhhhhh him), and the way he pets my arm or shoulder in a very loving way.  Although, he's getting more and more clever with his attempts to not sleep.  As in, he's started asking (through signs) for a drink or for a toy or for Daisy.  Tricky tricky that boy.

When the nap ordeal was finally over I packed us up and headed over to Mom and Dad's for the rest of the afternoon.  Dad bought him an inflatible pool that's 6 feet long and about two feet deep.  We only put a few inches of water in it, but Luke had a ball.  We played for about an hour and then got out to sit on the poarch while he ran around the back yard.  We grilled out inside out hamburgers for dinner and discovered that Luke LOVES guacomole.  I mean loves it.  He couldn't get enough and ended up eating it straight with a fork.  There was yummy cobbler for dessert, and lets just say there was a lot of toasting going on.  Not only was it Memorial Day, but it was Mom and Dad's 30th anniversary (as well as my in law's 30th anniversary too.  What are the odds that both of our parents got married on the exact same day of the exact same year?)

After dinner is where the crazy started happening.  Remember how Cody pulled an all nighter?  That meant that he CRASHED on the couch right after dinner.  We were in seperate cars, so I finally told him that I would drive him home in his truck and Dad would follow me to bring me back to their house.  I got him all tucked in at home, and then returned to the party for more Wii bowling and The Bachlorette (I don't ever watch it but Ashley and Mom do).  Around 10 I decided that it was time to get Luke home and into bed too.  He was running back and forth around the living room, working up a sweat, just to keep himself awake.  I gathered up all of our stuff, got his shoes on, and went for my keys. 

Except my keys weren't there.  20 MINUTES LATER, we still couldn't find them after searching the whole house over, so I told Dad to just take me and Luke home, I would put him in bed, and then ride back with the spare key to get my car.  So he drove a second time to my house, and after getting Luke tucked in I was just about to walk back out the front door with only the spare car key when a little voice said "Just go and check with Cody's thing, maybe in his slumber stupor he grabbed your keys."  And sure enough, there they were with his wallet.  Why he had my keys we'll never know (okay, that's not true, it's the first thing I will ask him in the morning), but it all worked out.  I  felt bad that Dad shuttled me to and from my house twice tonight, but then again our houses are literally 1.5 miles apart.  We watched the speedometer.  And while I'm glad that I found my keys and won't have to go through the annoying process of getting new copies made of everything, I was a bit dissapointed.  I had already picked out what new keychain I wanted in my head. 

2 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, minus the key fiasco.

Facebook Recipes said...

I LOVE that Luke threw out his toys after Hoarders...that is HILARIOUS!!

4 more days...I think I can, I think I can. Did you know I'm moving back to Kinder? We need to get our sewing machines together for a play date :)