Sunday, January 9, 2011

Death becomes me

Holy moly.  I've had the worst head cold this weekend.  Friday I thought I was just a little run down, had a little runny nose, a bit of a cough.  Yesterday I woke up feeling like death.  Walking death.  I had already made an appointment to get Luke's 2 year pictures done (okay, more like 2 1/2, but whatevs) and I really just wanted to get it over with.  Trying to get his picture taken is a nightmare with or without sickness involved and I just wanted to get it over with.  Mom went with us, which was a good thing because she brought the fruit snacks which enabled us to bribe this one good take.

Two packs of fruit snacks for that one cutie picture.  But I love it!  And only one good one made it super easy to pick which one to buy and not go over board.  The really sad part is this was probably the best photo sessions (outside of his newborn takes) we've had yet.  After the pictures we tried to go across the street to do a little shopping for Evan, but I didn't make it very far.  Mom ended up just dropping me off at home and taking Luke with her since I could barely function.  As in, I snapped at him when he didn't get in the car seat just right the first time.


After a pretty long nap, I still felt awful.  Cody convinced me to go to the doctor, but the only place open was Prima Care.  You know, a doc in a box type place.  But we went, and 2 hours (and $50) later we were sent on our way with a paper that said all I could take was Sudifed.  The over the counter stuff.   Thanks.  I still felt like I was in no condition to take care of a child, so we just left him over at Mom and Dad's taking some jammies and church clothes over to him.  Okay, Cody did that.  I sat on the couch with french onion soup and Hawaiian rolls pounding water with a towel around my shoulders.  The towel was for the bowl of steamy water and with melted Mentholatum to help clear my pounding face, but HOLY COW that stuff was strong.  I've never done that before and I almost gagged on the fumes.  I think I'll stick to just rubbing it under my nose, thank you very much.  Eventually I went to bed, even though I felt like I'd spent the whole day with the clock stuck at 3 AM and I was walking around in the haze you normally only experience stumbling to and from the bathroom at that time, but I couldn't get comfortable.  I don't know if it was the Sudifed that kept me up or the millions of pillows or the whir of the humidifier, but dozing was all I got. 

Thankfully I still managed to wake up today feeling marginally better.  Sat in bed and watched tv drinking coffee and eating breakfast took a while, then I got to picking up the scores of tissues from around the house.  I even managed to get a hot shower, hoping the steam would make my congestion even better.  Eh. 

When I woke up it was raining outside, but around 10:30 I noticed a few snowflakes in the mix.  By 11:30 it was full fledged snowing, the big beautiful flakes type of snow.  It even stuck!  When Luke got dropped off after church and lunch we sat and watched the snow for awhile.  I would have loved to let him play in it, but I didn't want him out there alone, and his nose has been runny lately too, so I decided this snow would have to evade us.  Finally it was naptime, and I got out to do some errands.  Didn't particularly want to get out in the snow to go the store, but we are still down a car and it would be now or never.  I'm not frustrated with Cody about that at all.  While I was out I ran to Home Depot to get an adapter for the light bulb in Evan's closet so I would finally have light in there to work.  I got home, installed it, and it didn't work.  *sigh*  So I called my father in law and he was gracious enough to come over and fix it up for me tonight!  Wahoo!  He ended up having to go back to Home Depot to get a new fixture, and then replaced the whole thing.  I am so glad!  PLUS he was able to take a whole stack of things that Cody needed to take back to their house from the purge of that room the other night.  *whew* One less thing off my list. 

After he left I got down a box of my very old things from the top of that closet to share with Luke.  There were notes from high school, a couple of pictures from my nursery, photos from high school and college, and my old "journals".  Oh. My.  I only really read a few entries from one that I kept in eighth grade, and all I could think about was how I was going to have a little girl who would be going through the exact same thing.  And I just wanted to hug her.  Tell her that it's only eight grade and all the things that annoy her will get better.  All the things that bother her will change.  All the things that are confusing will clear up (mostly.).  It just takes a little life and a little experience and a little patience.  But I have the feeling when I tell her that, she will (if she's ANYTHING like me) roll her eyes and then write down the dumb thing her mother just told her and forget all about it.  My heart already aches for my children who have to be middle schoolers for awhile. 

(This is one of the things that was in my nursery, I've kept it out to put in Evan's nursery.  There's really not any yellow in there, but I love the idea of passing down a nursery item to my daughter.)

Ug.  And now, at 9:30, I'm going to bed.  If I cough one more time I swear the top of my head is going to explode off.

1 comment:

Haley said...

Are you taking Sudafed that you can buy without the pharmacist? My doc told me NO, but I can have up to 2 regular Sudaphed a day (which she said I have to to stop my crazy congested ear. I LUV Luke's pic!!! and you little nursery picture is so sweet.
I think my hubby is super jealous that you guys are having a girl. Wanna trade our2nd borns? lol