Thursday, December 9, 2010

Car problems and a play date

Well, last night it happened.  Background for newbies- I've had my car since I was 16, when my parents surprised me with it 2 weeks before my birthday.   It's 14 years old and held up blessedly well all these years.  Over the last few weeks my car has had trouble starting the first time I would use it for the day.  But I always got it going and it was fine after that.  Yesterday was different.  I strapped Luke in, made sure I had the items I needed (we were returning a couple of things before church started) and I turned on the ignition.  Nope.  No matter how many times I tried it, it just couldn't turn over enough to start.  At that point I made a phone call to my mommy.  "Mom, can you give me a ride to church tonight?"  Seeing as my mother has two adult children who live on their own, I'm  pretty sure she hasn't had that kind of phone call in years.  But of course they came to the rescue.  They brought over a battery charger before church, which Dad hooked up, and off we were.  After church we tried to start it and voila!  Success.  Now I  just need to get the battery checked to see if it's gone bad and not holding a charge, or if it's the alternator going out and not charging the battery at all.  Lets hope for the battery, I can probably afford that one.  It was sweet though.  I posted a facebook status that my car wouldn't start, and immediately I got a phone call from a friend who's husband is a mechanic offering his services and making sure everything was okay.  Talk about feeling loved! 

This morning the boys and I had a play date at my friend Niki's house.  We were supposed to have it Monday, but that morning she texted me to make sure we were still on and I felt terrible about forgetting due to Fever Fest 2010.  We had rescheduled for today, so imagine my oops-ness feeling when I texted her last night telling her she might have to come to me instead due to a dead car.  Of course she was gracious about it, probably didn't care in the least, but still.  I felt bad.  Luckily the car started and we were on our way to a good time.  The boys got to play with new toys and I got to visit with my friend for a couple of hours. 

Also, I'm in the throws of getting my Christmas card made up!  My friend Jenn is doing it for me, and I  can't wait to see what the final product is.  Yesterday I tied a red ribbon on the door knob coat rack on the entry way wall and I clothes pinned all (well, all 3) of  our past family Christmas cards to it, with an extra pin waiting for this year.  I'll post a picture of it after I get my cards sent out.  I thought it would be a fun way to display our Christmas' past, and see how our family changes from year to year.  Because it's always changing!

No comments: